How to Make Your Own Soap Making Scents
Have you ever wanted try creating your own soap making scents using essential oil or fragrance oils? Whether you are experienced at aromatherapy or new to creating your own soap making scents you can create your own complex scent blends that will make your soaps smell enchanting with a scent that is individually yours.
When creating your blend it is important to write a note of the oils you included in the blend and how their smells worked together and how the aromas made you feel such as happy, sad, relaxed or tired.
What You Need to Create Your Own Soap Making Scents:
- An assortment of essential or fragrance oils
- A small jar with an airtight lid
- At least one clean cotton swab for each scent oil in the blend
- A notebook to record your results
Creating your own Soap making Scents:
- Start by selecting the essential oils, which will be the basic components that can be used to build more complex blends. Remember you can choose any combination of essential OR a fragrance oil as this is all about experimentation and having fun creating your own scents for your handmade soap. Try to choose oils that you think will go well together.
- Open bottles so that you may be able to get a preview of your scent blend will smell like.
- Dip the tip of a separate, clean cotton swab into each of the fragrance or essential oil and squeeze any excess oil onto the lip of the bottle. Try to use only one swab per oil so that you do not cross contaminate your supply.
- Place the swabs into a glass jar.
- Leave the jar and wait 3 minutes so the scents can blend together before sniffing the air above the jar. This will be the scent blend in its earliest stage of development.
- Put the lid back on the jar and leave it again in a cool, dark place.
After 48 hours the scent blend should be completely developed. This will give you an idea of what the soap will smell like if you were to use the specific blend of oils you just created. If the scent is one you enjoy, make a blend of the actual oils and add it to your soap mixture at trace!
Tips for Creating Soap Making Scents:
Make sure your they are completely clean – or else you will risk contaminating your essential oils. Also, do not use a single swab in multiple bottles of oil or you could contaminate your oil stock. Using eyedroppers is a good way to ensure that you are measuring your oils accurately when it is time to blend them together. Try not to stick your nose into the jar to smell the blend as you need let the scent rise from out of the jar to get the right aroma. Be aware that not all fragrance oils are suited for soap making. Some will actually destroy your soap mix to talk to you supplier to make sure that your fragrance oils are soap making safe.
And lastly remember it is all about experimenting with soap making scents so do not be afraid to try odd combinations, and be sure to take good notes!